Yup. It’s cliche. Overdone like twice-toasted bread. Ridonkulous. But Runner’s Delight is now taking a moment to be thankful. Not that I’m unthankful at other times, but I’m not always wading about in my appreciation – sure, I splash around in it, but I don’t just wait and move slowly through through it, letting the thankfulness lap into my pores and really letting the gratitude flow. So here’s a very short list of things I’m especially thankful for:
1. Friends who take care of one another like family, who are always your friends even when school/work/life kind of butts its head against you and you’re forced to not connect with each other as often as you’d like but who, in a moment of complete lostliness (that’s a word), are right there where you need them. And friends who let you take care of them when need be, too.
2. Family. A family others don’t think is dysfunctional because well, we’re actually a lot more functional than you realized. A family with people who pitch in, who think about one another, who exercise patience and love and consideration and excellent cooking in the name of being a family. A family who will sit around a dinner table for over two hours simply because being together, discussing this, that, and everything in between, is interesting. Even discussing concussions.
3. My legs. God, I have no idea who I’d be without them. I really don’t want to find out. It would be really hard. And I’m really thankful I can run. Especially on holidays with my sibling.
4. Honesty. People who are honest, and people who strive to be honest, and people who accept honesty with an open mind.
5. The ability to change, and people in my life who allow me to constantly explore what it means to be me, what it means to live a life I define, and what it means to exist.
* Yup, I wrote in second, third and first person in this post. Who’s proud?